The Unitarian Universalist Church of the North Hills (UUCNH) wishes to make its church building and grounds available for use by its members and friends and by the community at reasonable rates for activities or events that are consistent with our Mission and Principles. This policy addresses the types of facilities uses allowed and the conditions for use. The requirements of this policy and of the associated Facilities Use Procedure are intended to promote and protect the interests of UUCNH in serving its congregation and the wider community.
- Types of Facilities Use Allowed. Activities and events allowed and encouraged shall be those which foster the principles of Unitarian Universalism, support diversity in the community, provide community service, or facilitate gatherings that build community. Examples include weddings, ceremonies, celebrations, memorials, educational or arts events, social or discussion gatherings, non-partisan election-related activities and issue forums, or other activities which are consistent with UUCNH’s Mission and the Unitarian Universalist Principles. The Minister shall have the right to approve any rite of passage that is to occur at UUCNH.
- Excluded Uses. The following types of uses are specifically prohibited:
- Any activity which violates the laws of the United States of America, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Allegheny County, or the Borough of Franklin Park;
- Any activity which violates the principles, policies, or purposes of the Unitarian Universalist Association;
- Any activity which poses a perceived or real danger, as judged by a reasonable person, to the facilities and/or physical or psychological security of the members, staff, or guests of the Church, including any form of harassment;
- Any commercial use, except as allowed by the Fundraising Policy; and
- Any partisan political activity, including fundraising or advocacy events for specific candidates.
- Conditions for Facilities Use. Any facilities use under this policy shall be conducted according to the UUCNH Facilities Use Procedure:
- Responsibilities The Board of Trustees shall have oversight responsibility for this function. The Facilities Use Committee shall have responsibility for the operation and maintenance of the Procedure.
- Fees. A rental fee shall be charged for facilities use except for UUCNH sponsored activities, Members’ weddings or commitment ceremonies, or memorial services for Members or their immediate families ( i.e., spouse partner, parent, child). The fee structure and criteria for any additional waivers or reduction of fees shall be established in the Procedure.
- Any facilities use under this policy, except for UUCNH-sponsored activities, shall require a written rental contact, the substance and form of which shall be established in the Procedure. The Chair of the Facilities Use Committee and the President and the Vice-President of the Board of Trustees are authorized to sign facilities use rental contracts on behalf of UUCNH.
- Other Requirements. Any individual or group contracting to use UUCNH facilities shall be advised of all applicable UUCNH policies and procedures and must agree to abide by these.
Guidelines for implementing this policy:
For successful implementation, this policy relies heavily upon the application of the Facilities Use Procedure, associated forms and contract, and the diligence and good judgment of the Facilities Use Committee and designated Gatekeeper(s). All members are encouraged to support this function by being aware of the process and conditions for facilities use, promoting beneficial uses, and cooperating when help is needed in accomplishing rental activity.
Approved by the UUCNH Board of Trustees: 03/14/2011