UUA Green Sanctuary Small changes made by many people make big changes for our world. Be part of it!
Green Living Ideas for: Recycling
What It Takes: Easy/Med – Time and effort to buy recyclable items and recycle them
1) Buy items that contain recycled content and/or can be recycled after use.
2) Learn and follow the requirements of trash and recycling in your township, borough, etc. Unfortunately every municipality is different. To help make this easier, we will be adding links to the requirements for many townships to the UUCNH Website Green Sanctuary page.
3) Properly recycle Household Hazardous Waste (HHW). When possible buy less toxic products that do not require special handling. Check here to see if your township picks up HHW. If not, look for special collection events.
4) Properly recycle electronic products. Electronic products are made from valuable resources which require energy to mine and manufacture. Recycling them conserves resources, avoids air and water pollution, as well as greenhouse gas emissions that are caused by manufacturing virgin materials. Recycling one million laptops saves the energy equivalent to the electricity used by more than 3,500 US homes in a year. Recycling one million cell phones recovers 35,000 lbs. of copper, 772 lbs. of silver, 75 lbs. of gold and 33 lbs. of palladium.2 Check here to see if your township picks up electronics. If not, look for special collection events.
5) Collection Events
Allegheny County “household chemicals” details here . NOTE ** All events 9am to 1pm
- May 6 (North Park Pool parking lot, Allegheny County)
- May 20 (Concurrent Technologies Corporation ETF Facility, Johnstown, Cambria County)
- July 22 (Wild Things Park, Washington County)
- August 19 (Boyce Park, Allegheny County)
- September 16 (South Park, Allegheny County)
- October 14 (Bradys Run Park, Beaver County)
Allegheny County “hard to recycle – e waste” details here . NOTE ** All events 9am to 1pm
- Saturday, May 13th Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills
- Saturday, June 24th Quaker Valley High School
- Saturday, July 29th La Roche College
- Saturday, August 12th Century III Mall
- Saturday, October 7th Settlers Cabin Park
Find Butler County collection details here
Saturday May 6, 20, Jun. 3, 24, July 15, Aug. 19, Sept. 16, Oct. 14, 28, Nov. 18, Dec. 16
129 Ash Stop Road, Evans City, PA 16033 by appointment
What You Get: A cleaner environment to live in
World Benefit: Reduced landfill usage. Less contamination of soil and water. Less consumption of raw materials. Less greenhouse gas emissions. And, it creates recycling jobs 1
References: 1) https://www.epa.gov/recycle/recycling-basics